If you like to play casino table games in their original form and take advantage of higher payouts, European roulette will be the best choice for you.
This is the most common variant of roulette and it is very popular among players: You can find it in almost every online casino.
If you are thinking about trying European roulette online, make sure to read our guide first: We explain the roulette rules, payouts, and betting options of this variant.
Moreover, we share a couple of roulette strategies that work.
This will be a guide to playing roulette with European rules and it contains everything you need to know: Let’s start.
- 1Top 10 online casinos where you can play European roulette 
- 2What is European roulette game?
- 3European roulette vs. American roulette: What is the difference?
- 4European roulette wheel & table layout
- 5European roulette house edge & RTP percentages
- 6Bet types in European roulette online
- 7European roulette payout & odds
- 8How to play European roulette?
- 9Online European roulette vs. European roulette live
- 10Pros and cons of playing European roulette
- 11European roulette tips & tricks for beginners
- 12Frequently Asked Questions about online casino European roulette:
Top 10 online casinos where you can play European roulette 
Sign Up Bonus
What is European roulette game?
European roulette vs. American roulette: What is the difference?
Thing is, the double zeros increase the house edge percentage of the game (so it favors the casino) and basket bet is known as “one of the worst bets in roulette”. In short, while the general rules are the same, the American variant of this game offers less RTP (return to player) and should not be preferred, especially if you are playing high stakes roulette online.
European roulette wheel & table layout
Let’s keep explaining European roulette with some visuals, so you can understand what your goal is. We will start with the European wheel layout.
These are the European roulette wheel numbers: As you can see, there are 37 numbers in total. According to European roulette rules, you can place a bet on any number (i.e. red 7), a range of numbers (i.e. 4, 5, 6), a color (red or black), or the type of the outcome (whether the number will be odd or even).
The dealer spins this wheel, throws the ball on it, and players can place their bets until the wheel stops spinning. Speaking of placing bets, you can do this by placing your chips on the roulette table. This is what a European roulette table looks like:
While it looks complex at first sight, the table is actually quite simple and easy to understand: Each option on this table represents a different bet. For example:
- If you place your chips on black 3, you bet on a single number (and the outcome will be black 3).
- If you place your chips on red 4, black 7, and red 10, you bet on multiple numbers.
- If you place your chips on “1 to 18”, you bet on all numbers in this range.
As can be guessed, each option offers a different payout and probability. Roulette payouts, (including European roulette payouts) are calculated according to how likely that outcome will occur. If the probability is high, the payout amount is low (for example 1:1). If the probability is low, the payout will increase (e.g. 35:1).
European roulette house edge & RTP percentages
Bet types in European roulette online
According to which numbers are included, there are two bet types in online European roulette: inside and outside bets. This distinction is based on the placement of numbers on the roulette table (inner-outer sides of the table), we can say that it is also based on how many numbers you bet on. Take a look at the roulette outside bets & inside bets table below to understand what you are actually betting on:
European roulette inside bets
European roulette outside bets
European roulette payout & odds
You learned the bet types so it is time to talk about European roulette odds and payouts. Once again, we will use a simple table to show European roulette probability and how much you can win for each bet:
This table also shows the best numbers to play in roulette: However, since we have a separate article for this, we will just state the obvious here: You can learn more about this topic by reading our other articles.
How to play European roulette?
Whether you play free European roulette or try your luck with real money, the steps you need to follow are the same:
Online European roulette vs. European roulette live
Pros and cons of playing European roulette
- Easy to learn
- Higher RTP when compared to the American variant
- Easy to find – available everywhere
- Almost all other variants are based on European roulette
- French roulette offers even higher RTP
- Variants with bonus bets increase the house edge
European roulette tips & tricks for beginners
- You have seen the probability rates above: It is clear that outside bets are the better option. In three options (odd/even, red/black, low/high) your winning chance is as high as 48.60%. Simply put, you will be much more likely to win your bet.
- Do not use progressive betting strategies (i.e. James Bond roulette strategy, Fisher roulette strategy, etc.) if you don’t have a big bankroll that can cover your losses until you win. Otherwise, you can go bankrupt very quickly. Instead, use a roulette money management system that will help you to use your bankroll more efficiently.
- Before playing European roulette online real money, make sure to practice with free roulette games: They have the same rules, betting options, and RTP & house edge rates.
- When you play with real money, make sure to use a bonus: Cash bonuses of casinos can create a free bankroll (or boost your current bankroll) to play this game. We have a list of the best online casino European roulette bonuses: Check it to pick a promotion. Also, start with low stakes roulette and/or penny roulette if you are a beginner: Do not wager big amounts before you learn how to play.
Frequently Asked Questions about online casino European roulette:
Spin the wheel, play online European roulette game today
That’s it: You have learned what European roulette is, how to play it, and how much the bets pay. You can start playing it right now by choosing one of our recommended online casinos: Each of them offer multiple online European roulette games to play and the best bonuses to use.
We are sure that you will enjoy European roulette online: Make sure to read our other articles to learn more & increase your chances. As always, we wish you good luck: See you at the tables!