There are two questions that beginner gamblers ask: Are online casinos rigged and how much can you cash out at a casino without taxes.
We have already prepared a guide for the answer to the first question and contains a list of safe online casinos. You can find the answer to the second question in this guide. But before we start, let’s clarify one thing: This is not a guide about how much can you cash out at a casino.
Likewise, we will not talk about how to cash out at a casino: We have different articles for both topics.
In this guide, we will talk about how much can you win at casino without paying taxes and, in particular, we will talk about the legal obligations of US players.
If you’re asking the “how much can I win before paying taxes” question, keep reading: We talk about everything you need to know below.
- 1Top US online casinos 
- 2Taxability of gambling income in the US
- 3Differences in the taxation of land-based and online casino winnings
- 4How much money can you cash out at a casino without paying taxes?
- 5Gambling taxes in the US: State by state
- 6How to pay gambling taxes in the US?
- 7Frequently Asked Questions about gambling taxation:
Top US online casinos 
Sign Up Bonus
Safe & Trusted
Taxability of gambling income in the US
Differences in the taxation of land-based and online casino winnings
The answer to the how much do you have to win to pay taxes question does not differ whether you gamble at physical casinos or online. If you make a profit from gambling, you will pay a tax in the US: It is that simple.
IRS asks you to pay the same tax rate for all kinds of gambling winnings. However, a couple of states have different tax rates for online and land-based betting, which you can see in the table below.
How much money can you cash out at a casino without paying taxes?
Alright, we can now start talking about how much money can you win at casino without paying taxes. This is not “hard to find” information: The IRS website has a list and it shows how much money can you win at a casino before you have to pay taxes.
According to this list, whether you play at an online casino or a land-based casino, you need to pay a tax for winnings higher than these amounts:
Also, it is possible to deduct gambling losses, but you cannot deduct more than your winnings. Now, there are two more important things you need to know when it comes to how much money can you win gambling without paying taxes question:
- If you are a professional gambler, these limits do not apply to you. In this case, the answer to how much can you win without paying taxes question is different. The IRS thinks that professional gambling is a “job” and it is subject to the regular income tax rates. In other words, you need to report all your winnings if you play casino games professionally, even if they are lower than these amounts.
- If you are not a US citizen, you need to report all your gambling winnings (even if they are below these limits) and pay a flat 30% tax. In this case, you also need to use a special form called 1040NR.
Gambling taxes in the US: State by state
How to pay gambling taxes in the US?
(*) Please note that this is not always the case: Sometimes, even some legit online casinos do not deduct the taxes automatically. If this is the case, you are required to pay the tax yourself, in addition to filling out the W2-G form.
Frequently Asked Questions about gambling taxation:
Start playing casino games today and focus on winnings
You have learned how much can you cash out at a casino without taxes: If you live in the United States, there is no way of “bypassing” taxes on gambling income, so the best thing you can do is focusing on your winnings.
If you win big, you don’t mind paying taxes! So check our list of highest paying online casinos, pick one, and start playing the best online casino games to win money. And if you lose, don’t worry: We have a guide for how to recover lost money in casino too. As always, we wish you good luck!