Italy is one of a handful of European countries which has a regulated online gambling market.
For the most part, Italy has made gambling online a walk in the park for their players.
Any casino players in Italy find online may be legal, but whether it is or not depends on whether it has a license.
Online casino sites in Italy which are legal which display an AAMS certificate (more on that in a moment).
This is just the first step when looking for casinos for players in Italy.
Online Gambling Laws and Regulations in Italy
As mentioned it is possible to play at a casino online in Italy. The country legalised gambling on the internet in 2011, and their currency laws stipulate that provided a website is licensed by the Amministrazione Autonoma dei Monopoli di Stato (the Italian gambling commission for you and me), then it is a fully licensed online casino in Italy. This license doesn’t just cover online casinos in Italy, but also other forms of betting, such as sportsbooks, poker, lotteries, bingo and other games of chance. Mobile online gaming in Italy is also legal if you were wondering.
The Best Online Casinos Accepting Players from Italy
The number of internet betting sites on the web is vast, and players are often swamped by the number of options open to them. However, by opting to play in Italy at online casino sites which are properly licensed, you can already cut down the list to just those that are legal.
The best Italian online casinos will all fulfil specific criteria, and this is what we can use to judge whether or not they are ideal for you. As we’ve established, they should be licensed. At the same time, they should also provide software from a range of providers; they should offer the Italian language and the euro currency. On top of that, they should also offer support in Italian, feature payment methods which work for players in that country, and dish out decent promos. It sounds a lot to ask, but it really isn’t. Let’s look at some of these criteria a bit closer.
Software Gaming Providers in Online Casinos in Italy
Quite a few software providers are known to offer online casino games to players in Italy. It is not uncommon to find online casinos in Italy with games from the following providers:
- Microgaming: The leading casino software provider on the net. Armed with a library of well over 500 titles, including slots, table games and instant win titles; Microgaming is a trusted and well-respected developer.
- Playtech: A rival of Microgaming; Playtech has an equally as impressive library of top slots. Famed for their DC Comics and Age of Gods progressive jackpot games, Playtech also develops live dealer games, and power many Italian sportsbooks.
- Boss Media: Boss Media is a Scandinavian provider of games, although they are largely unknown in the wider casino gaming world. One of their perks is they offer casino games in the Italian language.
- IGT: The world famous land-based software provider also ports its brick-and-mortar casino games to the internet betting world. Realistic slots are their forte, and although they can be costly, the experience of playing these game is very much worth it.
- Rival Gaming: Sometimes known as a low-rent or budget software provider, Rival Gaming’s slot tend to be graphically challenging, but are capable of delivering decent enough wins with cheap stakes, even if the special features tend to be somewhat bland.
Play for Real Money in Italian Online Casinos
Any casinos in Italy which can be played online can also be played for real money. Most of those online casinos in Italy tend to offer the euro as their currency of choice. However, it is sometimes possible to play with other currencies if you prefer. To play with real money at an online casino in Italy, you will need to top-up your balance. The best online casino sites in Italy will typically host a wide range of deposit methods, but the ones more commonly used amongst players tend to be credit card and debit card options. Italian prepaid cards always work a treat, so don’t be surprised to find CartaSi, Mobiamo, Sepa and other options hosted at such sites.
The Future of Italian Online Casinos
The future for casino sites which offer online gaming in Italy is relatively stable. The current gambling laws permit all forms of gaming, provided a site holds an AAMS license. Italy has a large gambling population, so most major casinos see it as worthwhile to snap up such a permit. This naturally means that there are many top online casino sites in Italy for players to enjoy. Given that, and the relatively lax attitude to online gambling, nothing is likely to change in the foreseeable future.
Conclusion: Pick Your Italian Online Casino and get Started!
If you’re going to be having a crack at playing at an Italian online casino, we do recommend you have a look at the sites we recommend. While you are free to seek out your own favorites, we can say with certainty that our casinos offer online games to players in Italy, are fully-licensed and fulfill all of the criteria listed above. You can’t really go wrong with them.