Baccarat is one of the most popular casino table games. Many love it because it features low stakes, a low house edge, and simple rules. Baccarat is indeed a simple game to learn but it takes quite long to master.
Learning how to play baccarat like a pro will require making lots of practice. While it is similar to blackjack, baccarat logic is quite different and there are lots of baccarat betting systems to know.
It is the number one game for those that want to beat the casino without spending hours in strategizing, especially if you know how to play baccarat like a pro. (Hint: Start by learning baccarat table betting positions before anything else – we will talk about betting positions on a baccarat table in detail below.)
The game is simple to play and the dealer handles the complicated part. All you have to do is to decide whether to wager on Banker, Tie, or Player. In other words, it is not that hard to learn how to play baccarat.
The hard thing is learning how to play baccarat like a pro and using the best baccarat betting strategy: These are the most important things to increase your winning odds and they should be definitely mentioned in a baccarat casino guide. In fact, they should have their own sections.
Baccarat is also known as Punto Banco, it was created in the 19th century in France, and it has enough engagement to keep players interested and having fun. It is similar to blackjack but the bacarrat table is unique and looks a little complex at first sight.
Well, don’t worry: We will teach you everything about this game in our baccarat casino guide and you can become the world best baccarat player once you are done with reading.
This is the most comprehensive baccarat casino guide you can find and it contains everything you need to know about this game, including information about rare variants such as baccarat professional series medium.
How Many Seats/ Betting Positions Are There On A Baccarat Table?
Ok, let’s start with baccarat table betting positions as mentioned above and answer the obvious question: How many betting positions are there on a baccarat table? They are several betting positions on a baccarat table.
Baccarat is played at a table that consists of two ends (identical) and the mid-area of the table is for the croupier. That is the typical baccarat table layout.
And the bacarat table actually contains everything you need to know about the game, including what you need to do to win and what are the baccarat bet options. And yes, it answers the baccarat table how many betting positions question too.
There are six different areas on the Baccarat table. Position one is the Caller (Croupier), position two is Dealer, position three is Dealer, position four is Drop Box, position five is Discard Trays, and position six is Tips Box.
This answers the baccarat table how many betting positions question but if you are still not sure, there are 14 seats of betting positions on the baccarat table. Fourteen players occupy the seats, and it corresponds to the numbers on the layout.
From the table, you will discover that the 13th seat or baccarat betting position is not there; this is because of the superstition that surrounds the number.
As a result, player 14 is usually seated at number 15. There is a section in the front of every player for placing wagers. A player can sit in any of the baccarat table betting positions, where a player sits does not have an impact on the play in any way.
Well, that’s enough information about the baccarat betting positions topic: Let’s continue our how to play baccarat guide by explaining the basic rules, variants, and baccarat betting system.
The Basic Rules When Playing Baccarat
- American Baccarat (Also Known as Punto Banco): The baccarat betting position of every player is associated with three betting positions, corresponding to the choices they make at the beginning of every game: Banker, Player, or Tie. Irrespective of the number of betting positions taken, only two hands are dealt, the ‘player’ hand and the ‘banker’ hand. The players are to bet on which of the two hands will have a number closest to 9. Players can bet on both hands or they can go for a tie.
The rules of the Punto Banco are fixed and the results of the game are strictly dependent on chance. American Baccarat is played with 6 or 8 card decks and the cards are shuffled by the dealers or croupier only (but the baccarat table is still the same). A special device known as a ‘card shoe’ is used to deal the card. To prevent potential cheat, only one card can be drawn at a time. The card show passes through several baccarat players on the baccarat table.
Two cards are dealt facing down on the baccarat table for the Player and the Banker. One card is passed to the Baker and one to the Player. The second card is passed to the Banker and then to the Player again. After which, the players will reveal the cards and the croupier will announce the totals. After seeing the results, the croupier will determine if he/she needs to draw the third card, depending on the rules of the table. If the Banker or the Player (or both of them at the same time) reach the total of 8 or 9 with the first two cards drawn, then there is no need to draw the third card. The result will be announced immediately. The winner of that round would be the player with a higher total.
- Chemin de Fer (Also Known as Chemmy): Chemin de Fer is similar to the baccarat game where players bet against one another. The game is often played with 6 shuffled card decks on a kidney-shaped table that eight to twelve players can occupy. The rules of this game are similar to that of American baccarat, but with a slight difference.
In this case, the croupier is at the center of the table, and the player to the right is first to be the Banker. Other players on the table are the ‘Players.’ The players take turns to be the Banker. The Banker stakes an amount which he/she is willing to risk. Each player can decide to go against the bank in full or with a partial bet. Four cards are dealt in total by the croupier, two cards to himself and two to the players.
The player with the highest bet is chosen as a representative of all the players. He stands in as the Player for all the other players. If the cards of the Banker or the Player (or the both of them simultaneously) sums up to eight or nine (Natural), they will show the card and announce the result. The player with the highest total value wins the round. If the win is not natural, then the Chemin de Fer rules will apply. This is the basic baccarat betting system.
Top 15 Recommended Casinos Where You Can Play Baccarat:
Sign Up Bonus
Has Betting Stats
The Player's Rule
The Banker's Rule
If allowed, the Banker draws
If allowed, the Banker stands
- Baccarat Banque: This is also known as Baccarat on Two Table. The rules for the players are the same as that of Baccarat Chemin de Fer, but there is a difference in the case of the Banker. The table of this game has ten positions and the croupier sits opposite the Banker. The croupier shuffles the cards and passes it to the player on the left hand and right hand to shuffle again. The Banker will be the last person to shuffle the cards. In this case, there are three hands dealt – the Banker, the left table, and the right table.
The rules are pretty much the same with Chemin de Fer, they only decide if they are to draw the third card or stand if the summation of their card equals five. The Banker has more work to do here. The Banker is assigned the task to choose the table to better play against.
The Banker can choose a table based on the total amount of bets. Players can also bet on the opposite or on both tables if they want. In Baccarat Banque, players cannot bet on the Banker.
Here Are Some Advantages of Playing Baccarat
- Simplicity: Baccarat is one of the easiest and simplest card games out there. Once you know how to add numbers, you are good to go. You do not require any special skill to play the game. The game also has very simple rules and learning the rules is no rocket science.
- No Complex Strategy for Baccarat: Even if you are new to the game, you can still beat players with several years of experience. You do not require any special strategy for baccarat. The game is simple and straightforward. To play, you just have to place your bet (Banker, Player, or Tie), open your cards when shared and count your game. You do not need to burn the midnight oil or start cracking your head to learn how to play the game. There is no specific strategy for baccarat; strategies do not work in this game, only luck does.
- It Is Fast and Time-Saving: Baccarat is not like other card games where you spend a lot of time playing just one round. Baccarat gets over very fast and it is time-saving (both big baccarat version and mini baccarat online game). In a short time, you can play several rounds compared to other card games. Cards are dealt quickly, whether on big baccarat tables or midi baccarat.
- Every Player Is Equal on a Baccarat Table: When it comes to playing on a baccarat table, whether a mini baccarat game or a big baccarat table, every player is on an equal footing. Since there is no strategy for baccarat, the game places everyone on the same level. The level of experience of your opponent is of no use in baccarat.
- It’s Safer than Most Casino Games: Baccarat bets is one of the safest casino games you can play. This is mainly because of how many betting positions exist on the baccarat table. There are only three betting options, the Banker, the Player, or Tie. You have only three choices, which mean you have a higher chance of winning at all time. You can either bet on Player or Banker, the chances of getting a Tie is very slim. Hence, you have almost 50 percent chance of winning, which is good enough.
The objective of Baccarat
There are three possible propositions in this game: Player, Banker, or Tie. The objective of the player in this game is to guess the proposition that will win the round correctly. The closest hand to nine is the winner of that round. The game is simple and straightforward.
Depending on the casino you are playing the game, Tie bets usually pay 8 to 1 or 9 to 1 with no commission fee. If no player bets on a Tie and a Tie occurs, bets on the Player or Banker are returned to the players. If a player places a bet on Banker and wins, the player will get an even payout on the initial bet with a commission fee of five percent.
The five percent commission fee goes to the house. If a player places a bet on Player and wins, the player will get an even payout on the initial bet with zero percent commission. The Banker’s winnings attract 5 percent commission because the Banker draws more cards, which slightly increases the odds of winning.
There is a house edge of 1.23 percent when a player bets on the Player’s hand. The casino has an advantage of 1.05 percent when the player bets on the Dealer’s hand. Baccarat offers one of the lower house advantages when it comes to casino games.
Please note that these payouts are for the “classic” version of baccarat. If you are playing a variant with bonus bets (i.e. baccarat professional series standard limit bonus), the payouts can be slightly different.
Sometimes even the bet amount can affect payouts. For example, baccarat professional series high limit bonus will give an additional payout to high-rollers, simply because their bets are bigger.
Baccarat Card Values
Cards have a point value in baccarat. The 2-9 cards in every suit are worth face value (in points). The king, queen, jack, and 10 are worth zero point value (they have no point value). Jokers are not used and aces are worth one point.
The value point of hands is the rightmost digit after adding the values of their constituent cards. For instance, if a hand consists of 2 and 4, then it is worth 6. But a hand that consists of 6 and 7 is worth 3 (i.e. 6 + 7 = 13 and 3 is the rightmost digit). In baccarat, the highest possible hand value is nine.
Baccarat Table Layout
- Big Baccarat Table Layouts: The betting limits on big baccarat tables usually vary between $50 and $100,000 or more. The big baccarat table has an oval shape with yellow numbers running from 1 to 15. However, number 13 is eliminated for different superstitions, which makes only 14 seats or betting positions available at the big baccarat table. The table has a U-shaped cut on one side for the baccarat dealers, also known as Caller’s place. There are three dealers that run the game and three betting positions. One of the dealers would be on one side of the table while the other two would be on the opposite side.
- Mini Baccarat Table Layouts: The mini-baccarat rules are the same as the big baccarat version. However, the risk here is less, as the betting limit is between $5 and $25. Unlike the big baccarat version that features 14 players or betting positions on the baccarat table, the mini baccarat game can only feature a maximum of seven players. The dealer is at the center of the table. If you know how to play big table baccarat and do not know how to play mini baccarat, you do not have to worry, as mini baccarat rules are the same with standard American baccarat rules.
- Online Baccarat Table Layouts: Thanks to the advancement of the online casino sector, casino gamblers can play mini baccarat online without leaving the comfort of their home. Playing baccarat online has a lot of benefits. There is no much difference between the mini baccarat table layout and the online baccarat table layout. The dealer of the game is virtual and you will be the only one sitting on the baccarat table. Live baccarat follow the standard rules and you can interact with other players as well as the dealer.
Techniques of Playing Baccarat
- Choose Your Betting Option: Know what you want to bet on, either the Player’s hand or the Banker’s hand, or Tie. A player can even bet on both the Player’s hand and on the Banker’s hand. You must place your bets before the cards are dealt.
- A Croupier or Player Deals the Cards: Baccarat dealers are there to handle and guide you through the game. The dealer will slide out a card from the “shoe” and keep it facing up in the box of the Player. The next card goes to the Banker’s box. The dealer will issue another round of cards. Another card will go to the Player and the Banker. The first round of the dealer consists of two cards for both the Banker and Player.
- Announce the Point Value Total: At this stage, the point value of both sets of cards are announced and the winner will be the player whose card value is closest to nine.
- Natural Win: After the first two cards are dealt, if the total point value of the Banker or Player is 8 or 9, it is called a Natural Win, and the game is over. However, if the values of both players are less than that, then we will apply baccarat third card rules.
Baccarat Third Card Rules
The points total of either the Player or the Banker will determine if the player will get a third card. There is a Player’s hand third card rule and Banker’s hand third card rule.
- Player Hand Third Card Rule: When dealing the cards, the Player’s hand is completed first. If the point value of the Player’s card sums up to a total of 8 or 9, the Player will not get a third card, the Player wins the game straight away. If the points total 6 or 7, the Player stands on. However, if the value of the Player’s card totals 0 to 5, then the Player will draw a third card unless the Banker has a total of 8 or 9, which would automatically make the Banker the winner with no further draw.
- Bank Hand Third Card Rule: If the Player stands and the Banker has a total of 0-5, the Banker will draw his or her third card. If the Banker has a hand total of 6 or 7, he or she will stand. The remaining hands depend on the third card that the Player will draw.
- If the third card drawn by the Player is 9, 10, Ace, or face-card, the Banker will draw if his/her card totals 0 to 3, and stays if his or her card totals 4 to 7.
- If the value of the third card drawn by the Player is 8, the Banker will draw the third card if he or she has 0 to 2, and stays if his or her card totals 3-7.
- If the value of the third card drawn by the Player is 4 or 5, the Banker will draw the third card if he or she has 0-5, and stays if the value of his or her card is 6 to 7.
- If the value of the third card drawn by the Player is 2 or 3, the Banker will draw the third card if he or she has 0 to 4, and stays if the value of his or her card is 5 to 7.
Baccarat House Edge
Baccarat is one of the casino games with the lowest house edge. This means players have the best chances of winning when playing this game than other casino games. On a regular baccarat table, baccarat house edge ranges from 1.01 percent to 1.24 percent on the Player and Banker bets.
Casinos usually collect commissions on the winning Banker’s hand. The commission on winning Banker’s hand is 5 percent, some casinos take 4 percent, but it is very rare. Tie payouts on a bet are 8 to 1 or 9 to 1. Here is a baccarat house edge on 6 and 8 decks.
Summary of House Advantage in Online Baccarat
When playing a casino game, the house advantage refers to the mathematical advantage of the casino over the players as the players play for some time. Baccarat presents one of the highest chances of winning in casino games.
The chance of winning in baccarat is very high as there are very few betting options. The chances of a player winning in every round are almost 50 percent.
Key Points About Online Baccarat
- Coming up with an optimal betting strategy is one of the best ways to win baccarat. Hint; betting strategy is not the same as baccarat playing strategy, as there is no specific strategy for baccarat.
- You can make an optimal betting strategy if you understand the present odds for the three possible outcomes, Banker, Player, and Tie.
- You can use the chances/odds of winning to make an informed betting decision when playing the game of baccarat.
Settling on the Baccarat Table (How To Bet On Baccarat)
Let’s explain how to bet on baccarat, because you also need to know about the etiquette too.
When you walk towards the baccarat pit, the baccarat dealers assigned to that table will welcome you. The dealer on your side of the table will hand you some baccarat chips. You can also trade cash for more chips during the game; the dealers will handle that for you.
After paying for your chips, the dealer on your side of the table will place your chips in front of you. The caller or croupier will let you know when to place your bets. The caller will also announce when the betting period is over; at the point, you can no longer place any bet.
Once the caller accepts the bets, no player is allowed to touch the chips anymore. Attempting to move the baccarat chips is considered as cheating. When placing your bet, you can bet on either Bank or Player, in some cases, you can bet on two options.
However, before you walk to a baccarat table, you need to make sure you know the rules of the game. In addition, you have to pay your commission before leaving the table.
A dealer close to you will calculate and accumulate your commissions for you. The dealers are there to help you take care of your baccarat affairs.
Switching Baccarat Dealers
Rules, Tips On Playing Baccarat, and Variations of Online Baccarat
Online baccarat is increasingly becoming the number one choice for many casino gamblers due to the ease and convenience of playing the game. Playing the game from the comfort of their homes has made many people opt for online baccarat.
Online baccarat rules are pretty much the same as the standard baccarat rules. The only difference is that you will be playing the game virtually, with virtual baccarat dealers.
Over the years, baccarat has traveled through several countries such as China, the United States, and the United Kingdom. The whole world got to know about the game after it traveled across some of the most popular countries in the world.
Across different countries, Baccarat began to adopt different names. When it got to England, it was called European Baccarat. This resulted in a slight change in the rules of the game.
On getting to America, the American variation of baccarat was called Punto Banco; this is one of the most popular baccarat variations in the world.
The mini baccarat is another very popular baccarat variation. There are other baccarat variations such as the Chemin de Fer, the French variation, which is also known as Chemmy and the Baccarat Banque.
There are even weird variants like baccarat professional series high limit free spins: This is a game with many options.
The baccarat game is one of the oldest casino games just like blackjack and roulette. The game is said to have developed in Europe. Different versions of the game are played in France, England, Spain, and also in parts of Asia.
However, the games that look like the modern version most are Punto Banco, Chemin de Fer, and Baccarat Banque.
The origin of baccarat can be traced back to Italy in the late 13th century and early 14th century. Baccarat was introduced in Las Vegas back in the 50s as Chemin de Fer. The arrival of online baccarat has increased the popularity of the game enormously.
Online Baccarat Tips
We have a couple of baccarat casino game tips for you: If you have a basic knowledge of how to play the baccarat game, as well as its rules, the online baccarat should also be easy for you to play. The same rules apply.
You have three betting options and you have to choose your bet based on the advantage percentage the house enjoys; this would increase your chances of winning the game.
Betting on the Banker’s hand offers the best odds for a player. Whereas, the worst odds are on Tie bets. It is not advised to bet on Tie, as your chances of winning will be very low. Even when you win, some casinos only pays 50 percent of your winning.
Online Baccarat Software Providers
The Baccarat Martingale Strategy
The Martingale strategy was invested to hedge gambling losses at casinos. This strategy can be applied to the game of baccarat systematically. This strategy is a straightforward approach to playing the baccarat game and most players think that it is the best baccarat betting strategy.
It can be useful especially if you are taking advantage of the baccarat professional series low limit bonus.
The logic behind it is that you have to keep doubling your bet until you eventually win. Below is the baccarat martingale betting strategy.
The player lost his/her first five best but won the last one that covers for all the other lost bets.
The Baccarat Paroli Strategy
The Paroli betting strategy is a form of positive betting progression. The strategy is for you to double your wager after a win until you win three consecutive times. To start this progression, the player bets with a single unit. If the wager loses, the player will bet again.
The player will start all over until the wager wins. When the wager wins, the player will double the units. If he/she loses the bet, they will start all over again.
If they win two gains in a row, the next wager will double again to four units – the last bet of the progression, whether they lose or win. The wager will result in either a net profit of seven units or loss of one unit, and the player will start a new progression.
The 1-3-2-6 Baccarat Strategy
The 1-3-2-6 baccarat strategy is very simple and easy to use. As the name of the strategy implies, the betting sequence is 1, 3, 2, 6. If you lose any point, you have to start from the beginning of the sequence again. If the player wins all four bets, he/she will earn a profit of twelve wagers.
In this strategy, your first bet is one unit. If you lose the bet, you have to start from one unit again. However, if you win, then your next bet is three units. If you lose, you start from one unit again.
If you win, your next bet is two units. If you lose, the same thing happens. If you win, the next bet is six units. Whether you win or lose this round, you would have to start the sequence again.
The Labouchere Baccarat System
The Labouchere baccarat system is also pretty simple. This system is quite different from other baccarat systems. A player that wants to use this strategy has to define an amount of money that he or she would like to win.
For example, if you are looking to win $40, then you have to divide that amount into a sequence of numbers. Let’s say the sequence is 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. With this strategy, your first bet will be the addition of the first and last sequence,
which is 6 + 10 = $16. If you lose this wager, you have to add the amount you bet ($16) to the sequence, which would be 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16. Hence, your next bet would be 6 + 16 = $22.
If you win the bet, you will cross out those two numbers, which as 6 and 16. Your next bet would be 7 + 9 = $16. If you finish the sequence this way, you will win your pre-determined amount and you can set another target or simply start over again.
The Fibonacci Baccarat System
The Fibonacci Baccarat system is similar to the 1-3-2-6 baccarat strategy. However, the sequence in the Fibonacci baccarat system is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, and so on.
As you can see, the next number in the sequence is the addition of the last two numbers.
With this system, you start with 1 unit. If you win, you go to the next unit, which is still 1. If you lose, you start over. If you win the second round, your next bet will be 2 units, and so on.
Basic Baccarat Strategies
There are four different components of the basic baccarat betting strategy. The first is that you can bet one unit that two in a row will not make three in a row.
The second is that if you experience three consecutive losses, you can wager 3 units that two in a row will not make three in a row. You have to start the sequence all over again if you lose that bet. If you lose four bets, you’d have to wait for the next shoe.
For you to apply this betting strategy, you have to place a bet each time you get a second row entry. If you lose eight consecutive times, you are advised to hold on until the next shoe. Out of the four cases mentioned above, if you win three, you need to start the process all over again.
Is Playing Baccarat Online Safe?
To an extent, online baccarat gambling sites are safe. Some of them are created by top tech firms with a high level of security. The sites with good reputation and standard do play by the rules.
Pros and Cons of Playing Online Baccarat With Real Money
- Extremely convenient and attractive from the very beginning
- You can play the game from anywhere (literally)
- Easy to learn and play
- No stress at payouts: fast and safe
- It's more about the luck than the personal skill
Learn How to Play Baccarat Like A Pro and Win Big!
Although it seems winning a baccarat game needs more luck than skills, with the right skill and luck, you will keep winning. You need to know when to choose each of the options.
The best way to win a baccarat game is to play with fewer players and don’t bet on tier games.