It is a very exciting time to play at online casino sites in Switzerland.
This year (2019) sees the start of the very first officially regulated and licensed gambling industry in the country.
Expect a range of casinos to go online in Switzerland, all of which are fully licensed, and legal.
Where should you play, though, and what can you expect?
Our guide to Swiss online casino sites is your one-stop-shop to everything related to the Swiss gambling sector in 2019.
Top Online Casinos in Switzerland  - Updated List
Sign Up Bonus
Has Betting Stats
Switzerland’s History with Gambling
Before we dive into the world of Swiss casinos, we need to take a brief look back at the history of gambling in the European country.
Gambling was banned in the country between 1921 and 1993. In 1993, land-based gambling became regulated, however, in 1998 the country passed laws to prohibit all forms of online gambling, save for lotteries, which were run by each canton (state) in Switzerland.
Despite the ban on online gambling, and Swiss players were not prosecuted for playing at offshore casinos – that is to say, casinos which offering their services to players in the country but were not based or licensed there.
Swiss banks had no problem facilitating the transfer of funds to between players and casinos, either.
This all changed on January 1, 2019. A set of rules, officially legalised “some” online casino sites under a new Switzerland gambling law came into effect.
The New Gambling Laws in Switzerland for 2019
The Geldspielgesetz (Swiss Gambling Law) came into effect on January 1, 2019, and in Switzerland, all online casino sites are expected to adhere to it.
The law is relatively straightforward. It entitles Switzerland online casinos the right to offer their services to players online under Switzerland online casino law.
However, for the time being, only operators who have physical land-based gambling venues in the country can offer online gameplay. Even then, there are other rules attached. Here are a few of the key points which are worth noting:
Online Casinos in Switzerland in 2019
Understandably, there are significant changes ahead for Switzerland casinos operating online. The new laws give a serious advantage to those sites which are based in the country, against those which aren’t.
While you may already have an account at an offshore casino accepting Swiss players, there are advantages to swapping over to an online casino Switzerland does officially recognise. When choosing to play at a Swiss casino, here are a few things to consider:
- Official, Licensed and Regulated: In the near future, only casinos licensed in Switzerland will be legal. Unlike in the past, where the authorities have turned a blind eye to offshore casinos, they will soon be blocking access to them. Moving to a Swiss licensed casino is advisable.
- Security and Fairplay: Swiss casinos are set to be just as secure and fair as other sites, and the Swiss Federal Council has worked closely with the MGA (Malta Gaming Authority) to ensure that similar protocols regarding regulation and auditing are adhered to.
- Great Games: Switzerland-based casinos will sign deals with many of Europe’s major software providers. Don’t be surprised to see major names sign deals with Swiss operators to offer the internet’s most popular slots. A few homegrown Swiss developers may also spring up, offering a taste of the familiar to these homegrown casinos.
- Mobile and User-Friendly Interfaces: Swiss casino law will also extend to mobile casino gaming. This means that the new Swiss casinos will be mobile ready and feature user-friendly interfaces. Of course, instant play (and perhaps even downloadable) casino sites will also be available.
- Swiss-Friendly Support: One of the perks of playing in a Swiss casino is the ability to obtain support and assistance in your language. Unlike many offshore casinos, online casinos in Switzerland are going to be able to offer their players support in French and German, as well as via live chat, e-mail and telephone via Swiss lines.
- Swiss Francs and Payment Methods: Players at top Swiss casinos are going to be able to find payment methods which work for them, as well as use the CHF (Swiss franc) currency option to deposit, wager and withdraw.
- Bonuses and Promotions: Like most licensed casinos, Swiss sites are going to be able to offer their players access to bonuses and promotions. These will only be open to Swiss players, though, and be regulated to ensure that the site’s don’t take players for a ride when it comes to playthrough rates, wagering requirements, and terms and conditions.
Getting Started at Swiss Online Casinos
One of the good things about this page is that we can provide a wealth of top online casino sites for Switzerland based players. After scanning through our recommended Swiss online casino sites, you only need to register to get started.
Clicking on the join now, or register button on a website will start the signup process. From there, players need only fill out the registration e-form as accurately as possible and submit it.
After doing so, a confirmatory e-mail will appear in your inbox. Click on the casino link to verify your account. After this, you will be able to sign-in to your new Swiss casino account, and deposit to start playing.
Free Play and Real Money Games at Switzerland Casinos
A good number of Swiss online casino games can be played for free. There is no finer way to begin than test driving some of a casino’s top slots and table games for free.
This allows players to hone their skills, and practice before you wager real money on games. However, you will never win any real money in this way.
Playing real money online casino games in Switzerland casino sites is the way forward if you want to pocket vast prizes. Fortunately, there is no shortage of quality casino games for you to get to grips with at Swiss casinos.
Games You’ll Expect to See at the Best Swiss Casino Sites
The very best online casino sites in Switzerland will be able to offer players a wealth of top games. Far from being stuck with just a handful of slots and table games, the leading sites will provide their players with poker, video poker, blackjack, roulette, live dealer and dare we say, even sports betting options, amongst others.
By offering a range of Swiss online casino games, operators can ensure that their players never need to sign up to another site. Those players who like and want to try their hand at several types of games are normally able to do so under one roof. Let’s look a little closer at the types of games you can play at Swiss sites.
Types of Online Casino Games in Switzerland
A great Swiss online casino will be able to provide all manner of games. This is handy, particularly for those players who want to try something new. After all, players in the country spend over CHF 250m per year on gambling games. When it comes to sites in Switzerland, online casino games you can play include:
- Poker: Under the new gambling laws, table poker games in Switzerland have entry fees capped at CHF 200 for small tournaments. The maximum fee for high-roller table events is now capped at CHF 20,000.
- Video Poker: While it doesn’t have a particularly strong presence online, the popularity of video poker in land-based halls speaks for itself. Expect more than a few of the more renowned variants to appear at Swiss sites.
- Slots: By far the largest array of casino games found at any Swiss casino. Titles should come from multiple developers, and there should be at least a few hundred games in this genre.
- Progressive Slots: These are the slots which are often worth many millions of francs. Players are going to be looking not just for the games with the biggest prizes, but those which offer randomly triggered cash prizes.
- Blackjack: A popular game with Swiss players, many different blackjack variants can often be played at the best online casinos in Switzerland. Some even form the basis for tournaments.
- Roulette: Like blackjack, roulette games often appear with several variants of gameplay available. These games are ideal for newbies, as they offer a flurry of even money bets.
- Live Dealer: Most table games can be found in live dealer format at Swiss casinos. These are played over a video stream with a real-to-life human dealer, and those streams come from Switzerland’s most renowned land-based venues.
- Other: Lotteries are popular in Switzerland, and the new gambling laws mean that prizes can now rise as high as CHF 50,000 in national games, and up to CHF 500,000 in regional lotteries. Not all Swiss casino sites offer lottery games, though.
Mobile Casino Action in Switzerland
As mentioned earlier, the new gambling laws in the country do not discriminate between Swiss online casinos and mobile online casino gaming in Switzerland. Any casino which holds a Swiss Federal Council license will be able to offer both forms of gameplay to online casino players in Switzerland.
Online Casino Switzerland FAQ:
You may still have a few questions or queries regarding gameplay at Swiss online casino domains. We’ll try to help you out with some of the simpler ones here.
Conclusion - Find The Most Suitable Online Casino In Switzerland And Start Playing!
The new gambling laws which come into force at Switzerland online casino sites in 2019 totally change the landscape for Swiss players. Switzerland may try to block offshore sites (you can circumvent this with a VPN), but they are legalising local casinos, too.
It is worth pointing out that alongside online casino sites in Switzerland, the Swiss Federal Council may yet decide to grant licenses to offshore casinos, too, though this remains to be seen.
If you wish to play at the best online casinos that Switzerland has to offer, then choosing to play with any one of the recommended sites listed on our online casino Switzerland page is highly advantageous.